hmmm, then maybe it is something else? If you email me a surface I'll see if I can find time to take a look. You can also take a look at the surface normal calculation and see if your faces are pointing inwards. I think mris_convert -n will write them out

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018, Chris Adamson wrote:

I had already done this, it had no effect.

-----Original Message-----
From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> On Behalf Of Bruce Fischl
Sent: Tuesday, 13 March 2018 12:39 AM
To: Freesurfer support list <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] Negative areas in mris_sphere, dark in freeview

Hi Chris

we have c code for doing this but no binary that calls it in the way you need.
This is the code:

int MRISevertSurface(MRI_SURFACE *mris)
{
  int v0, fno;
  FACE *face;

  for (fno = 0; fno < mris->nfaces; fno++) {
    face = &mris->faces[fno];
    if (face->ripflag) continue;
    v0 = face->v[0];
    face->v[0] = face->v[1];
    face->v[1] = v0;
  }

  return (NO_ERROR);
}

should be easy enough to do in matlab

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018, Chris Adamson wrote:

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your reply. I had already tried swapping the 2nd and 3rd face
indices, no effect.

Chris.