External Email - Use Caution

Dear Freesurfer Developers and Experts,

I have been exploring various vertex wise (mass univariate) effects using
freesurfer measures of cortical thickness and surface area in a cohort of
toddlers/children aged 25-70 months.

When looking at the effect of age on surface area using individuals’ measures
mapped to fsaverage and smoothed at 15mm fwhm (area.pial. fwhm15.fsaverage.mgh)
I observed a widespread negative effect of age (i.e. decreased surface area
with age). Given the age group of the cohort this seems implausible. Plotting
the sum of each individuals lh+rh.area.pialfsaverage.fwhm15.mgh against age
shows the relationship:
[cid:image001.png@01D42FCE.C197B360]

However, plotting the lh+rh total surface area returned by
mris_anatomical_stats reveals a much more plausible relationship between
surface area and age:
[cid:image002.png@01D42FCE.C197B360]

My working hypothesis is that the significantly smaller brain sizes of our
cohort compared to fsaverage, and the fact(?) that -qcache does not preserve
global surface area, is causing an “over adjustment” in our cohorts smallest
brains when mapped to fsaverage.

Thus, my questions are three fold

  1.  Is the mapping of our significantly smaller brains to fsaverage a
potential explanation for the results we are seeing in our mass univariate
analyses of surface area?

  1.  If this is the case, would this effect be limited to surface area or also
extend to other freesurfer measures including cortical thickness, lGI, sulcal
depth etc.

  1.  How would you recommend approaching vertex wise analyses in a cohort of
this age? Create a study specific average subject using make_average_subject to
map onto?

Thank you for your insight and guidance!

Best, Derek

PS: All processing was performed using freesurfer v5.1

Derek Sayre Andrews, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
The M.I.N.D Institute
University of California Davis

Telephone: +1 916 703 0360
Email: dandr...@ucdavis.edu<mailto:dandr...@ucdavis.edu>