External Email - Use Caution

Hello,
Our lab has been running a set of data from a pre/post-treatment study through
the FreeSurfer v6 pipeline. I was comparing the pre-treatment structural values
initially run through the cross-sectional pipeline with the same pre-treatment
data later run through the longitudinal pipeline and was seeing the same issue
as has been previously posted about (msg52994). Particularly, one cortical
region of interest shows on average 0.24mm (8.8%) larger cortical thickness
values processed in the longitudinal pipeline vs. the cross-sectional pipeline.
While all participant’s data showed increased thickness in this area with the
longitudinal vs. cross-sectional pipeline, this was not at all consistent
across participants (ranging from 0.08 to 0.47mm differences [3-18%]). While
the longitudinal pipeline would increase reliability and sensitivity comparing
the pre to post-scans, we are just very concerned about these major and
inconsistent differences analyzing the same baseline data with the different
pipelines. Particularly, we have some attrition so most participants have 2 but
some have only 1 scan and thus this feels like it could introduce systematic
bias in overall thickness.
Any input would be appreciated!
David