Hi Philipp

the Hessian is estimated at each vertex by doing a quadratic fit to the local surface as the height function over the tangent plane of all the vertices in a 2-neighborhood of that vertex. I'm not sure what the gradient vanishing is about, but the curvatures are just the eigenvalues of the Hessian, so I don't think the gradient has anything to do with it. Not that we also have some discrete tools for computing curvature

make sense?