External Email - Use Caution

Hello,

My lab has been running T1 (MPRAGE) data through run_subject (uses recon-all,
autorecon, mris_volume and mris_wm_volume) then through run.r (pulls
freesurfer.r and pedbirn.r) using the Desikan-Killiany atlas to output measures
of cortical morphology. We've always gotten consistent output when rerunning
data, however, lately when rerunning data using the exact same files as before,
the output measures are different, sometimes significantly so, compared to when
they were previously run.

We recently installed the development version of FreeSurfer in a path different
from $FREESURFER_HOME, which is still set to usr/local/freesurfer. We've also
confirmed that all these runs have been using FreeSurfer v6.0 by looking at the
/scripts/build-stamp.txt file. So the inconsistency in output might not be due
to the FreeSurfer version used.

Additionally, we are collecting a new dicom format, however when rerunning
files collected in the previous dicom format through the pipeline and comparing
this output to the output from when it was previously ran, the measures are
still different, so the inconsistency in results might not be due to the dicom
format.

Do you have any ideas why this sudden change in outputs is being observed? Is
there a flag we can add to the scripts to ensure results are identical and
consistent with what they were previously, such as -norandomness or -seed 1234?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Best,
CC

Disclaimer:

The materials in this e-mail are private and may contain Protected Information.
Please note that e-mail communication is not encrypted by default. You have the
right to request further emails be encrypted by notifying the sender. Your
continued use of e-mail constitutes your acknowledgment of these
confidentiality and security limitations. If you are not the intended
recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying,
distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return e-mail.