From: Greve, Douglas N.,Ph.D. <dgr...@mgh.harvard.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 6, 2020 11:35 AM
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu; Hoopes, Andrew
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] Converting ANTs nonlinear transform to .m3z

I think Andrew H might have a way to do this, but he's on vacation until next
week. Try back then.

On 3/5/2020 12:29 PM, Ardesch, D.J. wrote:

        External Email - Use Caution
Dear FreeSurfer experts,

I am working on some monkey data and trying to get an accurate nonlinear
transform to talairach space (talairach.m3z in the -careg stage). The problem
is that the monkey brains look so different from the human brain that this
registration ends up being very far off, even with an accurate talairach.lta.

As an alternative, I did a two-stage nonlinear registration using ANTs (first
from subject to a macaque template and then from macaque template to
talairach), which gives an accurate nonlinear transform. However, I can’t seem
to convert this nonlinear transform file correctly from .nii.gz to the .m3z
format that FreeSurfer needs to continue down the pipeline.

How would one go about converting the nonlinear transform from ANTs to a
correct .m3z file?

Some other things I tried:

  *   I have tried a workaround in which I applied the inverse ANTs transform
to the first frame of RB_all_2016-05-10.vc700.gca to get the talairach volume
in subject space, and then ran mri_ca_register on that volume to obtain a
talairach.m3z. That transform works but is still not accurate enough
unfortunately.

  *   The nonlinear transform itself seems correct because when I apply it to
the movable volume using ANTs the results are similar to:

mri_convert movable.mgz –apply_transform talairach.m3z -oc 0 0 0
movable_in_talairach.mgz
where movable.mgz is the talairach volume in subject space and talairach.m3z is
the transform made by mri_ca_register.
The dimensions, orientation, and voxel size of movable_in_talairach.mgz and my
own transformed volume are identical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Platform: MacOS Mojave
Version: FreeSurfer 6.0.0