Hi Quentin

if you import it as a surface label you should be able to use morphological operations to smooth it (open, close, dilate, erode)

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020, Funk, Quentin wrote:

        External Email - Use Caution

Freesurfer experts,

I have a volumetric ROI (integer valued) in MNI space. I'd really like to
display them on the fsaverage brain as a surface overlay so that it's clear
what regions I'm looking at.

Using something like this, I get pretty good results:

mri_vol2surf --mov ROI_integers.nii  --regheader fsaverage  --hemi lh --out
left_overlay.mgh --projfrac-max 0.15 .17 .01

but the edges are kind of a mess, see: https://imgur.com/a/53RVGCM

Is there any way to smooth these edges while maintaining the "lookup table'
nature of the surface overlay? Any kind of interpolation ruins that, so it's
a bit hard (you can't see in that image, but there are multiple regions
shown).

Alternatively, is there any way I can do arithmetic with surfaces? If there
were a tool like fslmaths for surface overlays, solving this problem would
be relatively straightforward.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-quentin funk

Houston Methodist. Leading Medicine.

Houston Methodist is ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the No. 1
hospital in Texas and among the top 20 hospitals nationwide. Houston
Methodist is the only nationally ranked Honor Roll hospital in the state and
is designated as a Magnet hospital for excellence in nursing.

houstonmethodist.org | twitter.com/MethodistHosp |
facebook.com/HoustonMethodist

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*** This e-mail is the property of Houston
Methodist and/or its relevant affiliates and may contain restricted and
privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any
review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the
recipient), please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message.
Thank you.