What happens if you remove -parallel? That flag does not do much any more but cause trouble (we have removed it in recent versions)

On 5/3/2022 2:58 PM, FONG, manson CM [CBS] wrote:

        External Email - Use Caution

Hello Experts,

I'm attempting to run the longitudinal pipeline, as described in this tutorial page (*MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "secure-web.cisco.com" claiming to be* https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FsTutorial/LongitudinalTutorial <https://secure-web.cisco.com/1Ixk7gG7cuuWHkljgthBFn12YPhnTaeVaFK7XUh0r8RABWOczLFEHenETdpjMXuBvtHTYhkyQHUY_jcSnOm3F4ioC4XITBqfSUk3TszuSu5O5sJoqBytSbe7R-iRpQYcpcZu9VrtyyO2-NRsKeVIGOHKAsBzJA0ZfyJQOp7OEBqrMXdtFG2So7d_P9RmGzsr98M_Ddd72CSDjT1na4EJKG0f2Uy0KhLR-nVRT09EXf3yvbP2zZs6SnrycNJaPd-DBwFHHJqxiIjoVScybOZFgUt-uvE41YIFGWMdFMEQwXsjI6ibzxClVoCEkqc6zKAJD/https%3A%2F%2Fsurfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu%2Ffswiki%2FFsTutorial%2FLongitudinalTutorial>). I've tried the pipeline on 13 subjects (from the Alzheimer Disease Neuroimaging Initiative), each with varying number of time points. For all of them, I succeeded in the first two steps ( [CROSS] & [BASE] ), but recon-all threw an error for all subjects & for all time-points midway through the third step ( [LONG] ).

For example, for the subject 128_S_4832, I've run the cross-sectional step for all time points, resulting in corresponding folders called $SUBJECTS_DIR/128_S_4832_Ses01 and so on, and a template in the folder $SUBJECTS_DIR/128_S_4832 (from the [BASE] step). The exact command that exited with ERRORS was:

    recon-all -long 128_S_4832_Ses01 128_S_4832 -all -parallel -openmp 16

Like in the first two step, I was using parallel computing with 16 cores. From recon-all.log in the folder $SUBJECTS_DIR/128_S_4832_Ses01.long.128_S_4832/scripts, it appears that the last command that reported no issue was:

    mris_curvature -seed 1234 -thresh .999 -n -a 5 -w -distances 10 10
    rh.inflated

After this step, recon-all threw an error. The last four lines in my log file are:

    Usage: reconbatchjobs logfile cmdfile1 [cmdfile2 ...]
    See recon-all script for examples.
    Linux ubda-d050 3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Mar 7
    19:03:37 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    recon-all -s 128_S_4832_Ses01.long.128_S_4832 exited with ERRORS
    at Sat Apr 30 22:10:07 HKT 2022

I've searched the list and no similar errors have been reported.

1) FreeSurfer version: freesurfer-linux-centos7_x86_64-7.2.0-20210720-aa8f76b
2) Platform: CentOS Linux 7 (Core)
3) recon-all.log & recon-all.error: see attached

Many thanks for your advice in advance!

Best regards,
Manson Fong

/Disclaimer:/

/This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify the sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University) immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful./

/The University specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through University E-mail Facilities. Any views and opinions expressed are only those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent those of the University and the University accepts no liability whatsoever for any losses or damages incurred or caused to any party as a result of the use of such information./