External Email - Use Caution

Hello FreeSurfer Developers,

I am trying to run the mri_surf2surf command as shown in this MRtrix tutorial
on page 35
(https://secure-web.cisco.com/1IRfOd9DbtoZ73ePUy1kNxDjehQaayodvb_Pq3LttY1M2YqbKQhQ1UWIVGQmivIOeHqfZlJkiIPiENR9fGdSkObi00qtpoSZ8Jm9wwwQnxRhQm6hmGs6MvMportB8LLrr13nsIVJlGNgmDmVt2i_k6NqxieH97jsKyaWkKiulCv5J5ZWicVbSHhRfriTWUMfd88okHhuEhZqcDvEV0Hjlj2dOCZkdDjAYskYfmLgKCfunXsyywJZzs5SXHSYMHohUoO6chopWkH8GfYpBIEEGnVOaE9SeVAYRJWq1-wdIYO-YuJdIiLvOpah94FyrtBHuRNt0RS9IJYxQp6dPlEh5pw/https%3A%2F%2Fosf.io%2Fpm9ba%2F)
 in order to map the annotation files of the HCP MMP 1.0 atlas. I keep running
into a “No such file or directory” error when the code tries to read the
“lh.orig” file, but the file is clearly in the required directory. Below is the
output of my code:

(base) salmasalhi@SalmasMacbookAir 100307_F26-30 % mri_surf2surf --srcsubject
fsaverage --trgsubject subject_100307 --hemi lh --sval-annot
$SUBJECTS_DIR/fsaverage/label/lh.glasser.annot --tval
$SUBJECTS_DIR/subject_100307/label/lh.hcpmmp1.annot

Setting mapmethod to nnf

7.2.0

setenv SUBJECTS_DIR /Users/salmasalhi/my_code/HumanBrain_v2/reconall

cd /Users/salmasalhi/my_code/HumanBrain_v2/100307_F26-30

mri_surf2surf --srcsubject fsaverage --trgsubject subject_100307 --hemi lh
--sval-annot
/Users/salmasalhi/my_code/HumanBrain_v2/reconall/fsaverage/label/lh.glasser.annot
 --tval
/Users/salmasalhi/my_code/HumanBrain_v2/reconall/subject_100307/label/lh.hcpmmp1.annot

sysname  Darwin

hostname SalmasMacbookAir.local

machine  x86_64

user     salmasalhi

srcsubject = fsaverage

srcval     = (null)

srctype    =

trgsubject = subject_100307

trgval     =
/Users/salmasalhi/my_code/HumanBrain_v2/reconall/subject_100307/label/lh.hcpmmp1.annot

trgtype    =

srcsurfreg = sphere.reg

trgsurfreg = sphere.reg

srchemi    = lh

trghemi    = lh

frame      = 0

fwhm-in    = 0

fwhm-out   = 0

label-src  = (null)

label-trg  = (null)

OKToRevFaceOrder  = 1

UseDualHemi = 0

Reading source surface reg
/Users/salmasalhi/my_code/HumanBrain_v2/reconall/fsaverage/surf/lh.sphere.reg

Reading surface file
/Users/salmasalhi/my_code/HumanBrain_v2/reconall/fsaverage/surf/lh.orig

error: No such file or directory

error: could not read annot file
/Users/salmasalhi/my_code/HumanBrain_v2/reconall/fsaverage/label/lh.glasser.annot

If I cd into the surf directory and check the files, this is the output:

(base) salmasalhi@SalmasMacbookAir surf % ls
lh.area                     lh.sphere.reg               rh.inflated_avg
lh.avg_curv                 lh.sphere.reg.avg           rh.inflated_pre
lh.avg_sulc                 lh.sulc                     rh.orig
lh.avg_thickness            lh.thickness                rh.orig.avg.area.mgh
lh.cortex.patch.3d          lh.white                    rh.orig_avg
lh.cortex.patch.flat        lh.white.avg.area.mgh       rh.pial
lh.curv                     lh.white_avg                rh.pial.avg.area.mgh
lh.fsaverage_sym.sphere.reg lh.white_avg.H              rh.pial_avg
lh.inflated                 lh.white_avg.K              rh.pial_semi_inflated
lh.inflated.H               mris_preproc.surface.lh.log rh.smoothwm
lh.inflated.K               mris_preproc.surface.rh.log rh.sphere
lh.inflated_avg                    rh.area                     rh.sphere.reg
lh.inflated_pre                    rh.avg_curv                 rh.sphere.reg.avg
lh.orig                     rh.avg_sulc                 rh.sulc
lh.orig.avg.area.mgh        rh.avg_thickness            rh.thickness
lh.orig_avg                 rh.cortex.patch.3d          rh.white
lh.pial                     rh.cortex.patch.flat        rh.white.avg.area.mgh
lh.pial.avg.area.mgh        rh.curv                     rh.white_avg
lh.pial_avg                 rh.fsaverage_sym.sphere.reg rh.white_avg.H
lh.pial_semi_inflated       rh.inflated                 rh.white_avg.K
lh.smoothwm                 rh.inflated.H
lh.sphere                   rh.inflated.K
(base) salmasalhi@SalmasMacbookAir surf % pwd
/Users/salmasalhi/my_code/HumanBrain_v2/reconall/fsaverage/surf

The “lh.orig” file is clearly in the right place. I tried to check the format
of the file by typing mri_info lh.orig but the output was “ERROR: could not
determine type of lh.orig”.

Below are more details about my setup:
1)      FreeSurfer version: freesurfer-darwin-macOS-7.2.0
2)      Platform: macOS Monterey 12.3.1 (M1 chip)

Thank you very much for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Salma Salhi