Hello dear FreeSurfer team,

We are undertaking a multicenter study analyzing cortical thickness of controls
and persons with a neurological condition. Unfortunately, there are issues with
motion artifacts and image quality. To counter this, we’ve created averaged
T1-images by combining one axial and one sagittal image in SPM for one of the
study sites. Also, we are using recon-all with the optional T2- and T2-pial
flags. Our impression is that the image quality has improved with the averaged
images as compared to the non-averaged ones.

Do you have any thoughts on this method or if combining images this way might
cause issues when trying to calculate and compare cortical thicknesses? The
averaged T1-images are only created for one of the study-sites and we plan on
using study site as a covariate in our model. Will be happy to post images or
logs if those may be helpful

Kind regards,

Carl

FreeSurfer version: freesurfer-linux-centos7_x86_64-7.1.1-20200723-8b40551
Platform: CentOS Stream 8