Once you have the vertex number, you can get the MNI coordinate through some combination of operations shown on this page
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/CoordinateSystems
Getting the minimum vertex is a little trickier. I would probably load the thickness into matlab, eg, thickness = MRIread('lh.thickness.mgz'); % you can convert it to mgz with mri_convert lh.thickness lh.thickness.mgz
Then load in the annot, eg,
[vertices label ctab] = read_annotation('lh.aparc.annot')
Then finding the minimum vertex in your ROI