External Email - Use Caution

Dear experts,
this is the first time I have used Freesurfer. I am a clinician and I don't
have previous experience. I followed wiki instructions. I have a group of
T1 images. I need cortical thickness and cortical gray matter volume
measurements . I ran "recon-all" and I got all the measurements.
My question is about cortical thickness and cortical gray matter volume,
are these two measurements have to be correlated everytime? Is it possible
to find cases of cortical thinning and normal cortical gray matter volume?
I don't have a solid mathematical background. I am wondering if  those two
numbers must always correlate with each other, otherwise  I am worried that
an error in the analysis may lead to cortical thinning and normal cortical
gray matter volume.

Thank you for your time,
John