Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 23:32:49 +0000
From: "Stepanov, Valentin" <valentin.stepa...@nyulangone.org>
Subject: [Freesurfer] Samseg cortex parcellation
To: "freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu" <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>

Hello, I hope this email finds you well.

I am using Samseg for the MS patients' data and am very impressed with its
performance in terms of lesions segmentation along with posteriors and
probability maps saving. Also, compared to freesurfer, it has a remarkably
better quality of cortical gray matter segmentation, particularly in subjects
with juxta/intracortical lesions. However, to my knowledge, it does not allow
doing a cortex parcellation. I used it with the ?recon option, but in that
case, the output (aparc+aseg.mgz) is identical or very close to those
freesurfer provides and commonly has some segmentation errors, whereas seg.mgz
saved in samseg directory demonstrates significantly better segmentation.
I wonder if there is any way to run cortex parcellation using exact samseg
seg.mgz output?
I have attached a couple of images demonstrating the difference of segmentation
output for freesurfer and samseg.

Thank you,

Best regards
Valentin