From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> On Behalf Of Lin Cai
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2023 12:46 AM
To: Freesurfer support list <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] How to calculate the mean FA value in the hippocampus

        External Email - Use Caution
Hi Yujing,

Thank you very much for your help.
It seems to solve my problem. I can obtain the mean FA value in the left
hippocampus.
But I found another issue on the order of processing data.
# order 1: I first aligned the aparc+aseg.mgz to the FA.nii.gz, and then
created the hippocampus mask.

mri_convert aparc+aseg.mgz aparc+aseg.nii.gz

mri_convert nu.mgz nu.nii.gz
flirt -in nu.nii.gz -ref FA.nii.gz -omat f2d.mat

flirt -in aparc+aseg.nii.gz -ref FA.nii.gz -applyxfm -init f2d.mat -out
aparc+aseg_diffspace.nii.gz
mri_convert aparc+aseg_diffspace.nii.gz aparc+aseg_diffspace.mgz
mri_binarize --i aparc+aseg_diffspace.mgz --o left_hippocampus.mgz --match 17
mri_convert left_hippocampus.mgz aparc+aseg_diffspace.mgz
fslstats FA.nii.gz -k left_hippocampus.nii.gz -M

# order 2: I first created the hippocampus mask, and then directly aligned this
mask to FA.nii.gz.

mri_binarize --i aparc+aseg.mgz --o left_hippocampus.mgz --match 17

mri_convert left_hippocampus.mgz left_hippocampus.nii.gz

flirt -in nu.nii.gz -ref FA.nii.gz -omat f2d.mat

flirt -in left_hippocampus.nii.gz -ref FA.nii.gz -applyxfm -init f2d.mat -out
left_hippocampus_diffspace.nii.gz

fslstats FA.nii.gz -k left_hippocampus_diffspace.nii.gz -M

Using the two methods above mentioned, I found mean FA values derived from
fslstats are different.
Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thank you very much in advance.

Lin

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 11:57 PM Huang, Yujing