Sorry, I don’t see what black dot you are referring to. As for being different,
when the distances it uses are random it will change run to run. Basically you
hope some of them prevent the patch from folding on itself (which it will
definitely be prone to if the distances are only nearest neighbor)

From: Nasr, Shahin,Ph.D. <shahin.n...@mgh.harvard.edu>
Sent: Saturday, April 8, 2023 11:47 AM
To: Fischl, Bruce R.,PHD <bfis...@mgh.harvard.edu>; Freesurfer support list
<freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: mris_flatten Version 6 vs. 7

Hi Bruce,
    Adding -distance 20 20 definitely helped (see the attached file).  Even
though, the outcome is still different than what we see based on Version 6 (my
previous emails), which might be OK. But do you notice the black dot (missing
vertex) at the tip of calcarine sulcus?  Any idea why that is happening?  Any
solution for that?

Regards,

Shahin Nasr, Ph. D.
Assistant Professor in Radiology