External Email - Use Caution

From your first email, w/o seeing more of the crash log, I would infer
something went wrong communicating with the Xming server, which caused the
thread to abort.  WSL continues to be a moving target and people have
found the XMing settings for WSL1 no longer work with WSL2.  Some WSL
users have switched to using MobaXterm
(https://secure-web.cisco.com/1zZzK3bvGd5zsB2uABu9OZeWvaxLdkpnrA0kBfX1S3S3NDG4JCd6MHums0esqOipz3Gf0t3HYAoGOVrVL-0rPYz2_hU5HV_dEtffv-yeIo-lhjJ343fvw9AQWvEB6tTi_wVutqzRu6BQoEe7Qs71oMWkf1oYc54_JT-YDZt7Fzxfk1DGJC5znW6i2UbrXJ6MSPCn_mCYHl5HpG3dmHMzSRO4qlGFs9hOk1LaD7NiwaQLJ5zTjChTWvrslsCWhhyuOchRonnC04ZyRn8XPksO0-3xVqbFTAgQG9pSwc3uAD3JzJakNSUVgIvFzy95R-WAw/https%3A%2F%2Fmobaxterm.mobatek.net)
 and find it easier to configure compared XMing, though I have not tried it.
 Others have switched to using the VirtualVox VM we provide with
freesurfer pre-installed
(https://secure-web.cisco.com/1fhOwedIcHgfE4tyeSK9G0oaBhabx6_ZVJc7Vr6kaXK3UynOTGEj0KbWvmoGLmm-priyEPi8SjSdwjQR531hso6fbbrHOEyECccpWfpE3_1iRPT9XjjdRvIpu-uUOCwvnjgnltoUzkUaggwgTgd88pb-nnCE1NmIM9j6ah87VddIeG8U8uNnnPTOnK6cKUCPiMbGumVNDXEcZyQX7ehp2k0fI1SquBgrE6Wxmr_ND0RRYuLT6YfS-3mNEmzykLQ2EjktfiOuZYGRC1_1RcsD2qsWtVpq5NURW-cUAqoz5Gq05BjHzmutpxctvHr7irvIg/https%3A%2F%2Fsurfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu%2Ffswiki%2FVM_67)
 since the X-Server runs in the VM (no 3rd party X-server to install and
configure settings for).   While that VM runs Ubuntu 18 out of the box,
you could uninstall freesurfer, upgrade to Ubuntu 22, and then install the
freesurfer 7.3.2 Ubuntu 22 .deb file into it.
- R.

On Apr 18, 2023, at 19:00, Keith E Moore <k...@stanford.edu>
wrote:        External Email - Use
Caution        Okay, so it does look
like it is the LIBGL bandwidth.  I went back and downgraded WSL to
version1.0 (non-VM).  Yes, a bit draconian, but wanted to see if this was
a lack of shared memory accessibility.Used:Cmd> wsl –set-version ubunto
1 Then reran and got the expected
image: $<image001.png> So looks like there is an issue when
interacting with X11 servers when the client  is in a VM?
Anyway,  I’ll work with  this… but would be grateful if there’s a
better
configuration. Keith From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
 <freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh..harvard.edu> On Behalf Of Keith E
MooreSent: Tuesday, April 18, 2023 3:21 PMTo: Freesurfer support list
<freesur...@nmr.mgh..harvard.edu>Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] ABORT
error when running
freeview         External Email -
Use Caution        Okay, found one
issue.  My .bashrc had:export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1I then went to
unpacked tutorial  and ran: $ freeview -v \good_output/mri/T1.mgz
\good_output/mri/wm.mgz \good_output/mri/brainmask.mgz
\good_output/mri/aseg.mgz:colormap=lut:opacity=0.2 \-f
good_output/surf/lh.white:edgecolor=blue
\good_output/surf/lh.pial:edgecolor=red
\good_output/surf/rh.white:edgecolor=blue
\good_output/surf/rh.pial:edgecolor=red and
got:   <image002.png> So most is working except the
image isn’t showing… any ideas? Keith
Moore From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu <freesurfer-boun...@nmr..mgh.harvard.edu> On
 Behalf Of Keith E MooreSent: Tuesday, April 18, 2023 2:53
PMTo: freesur...@nmr.mgh.harvard.eduSubject: [Freesurfer] ABORT error
when running
freeview         External Email -
Use Caution        Hi, when I try to
use freeview on ubuntu under WSL, I’m getting a brief show of a X window and
then an ABORT. I’m running in ubunto 22.04 (jammy)  under WSL on
windows using an Xming 6.9.0.31xMing is configured with a X11 server on
localhost:0.0 I did a clean install of ubunto using:Cmd> wsl –install
ubuntu Then in ubunto:$ sudo apt update -y$sudo apt-get upgrade -y$sudo
apt install x11-apps$sudo apt install xterm I installed freesurfer
using:$sudo apt install ./freesurfer_ununtu22-7.3.2_amd64.deb Then
added:$export DISPLAY=”:0.0”$export FS_LICENSE=<location of my license
file>$export FREESURFER_HOME=/usr/local/freesurfer/7.3.2$export
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/home/<myaccount>/.xdg$export SUBJECTS_DIR=<location
of subjects>$source $FREESURFER_HOM/SetUpFreeSurfer.sh $
freeviewAborted $sudo apt install gdb$gdb freeview(gdb) run An
Xwindow pops up which is blank/black that has the title “FreeView”. And
gdb reports: <image003.png>  I’m sort of stuck… any idea
what to try next? Keith
 mailing
listfreesur...@nmr.mgh.harvard.eduhttps://mail.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/freesurfer