External Email - Use Caution

Hello,

I am looking to run a MANCOVA to examine cortical gray matter differences
across three groups (accounting for several covariates), and I was hoping
to get input on whether I am setting up my design matrix correctly.

Groups: 3
Covariates: Age (demeaned), disease duration (DD; demeaned), sex

Simplified Example:
Group   EV1(Grp1)    EV2(Grp2)     EV3(Grp3)     EV4(age)    EV5(DD)
 EV6(sex)
1            1                     0                  0                0.25
          0.75            -1
1            1                     0                  0                0.25
          0.25            -1
1            0                     1                  0               -0.75
         -0.25            1
1            0                     1                  0                0.5
           -0.75            1
1            0                     0                  1               -0.5
            0.5              1
1            0                     0                  1                0.25
          0.25            -1

Questions:

1. Is this an appropriate way to do a three-group comparison with
covariates? Or, is it better to just run three separate t-tests (including
covariates)?

2. Regarding post-hoc testing, would I just do three separate t-tests? This
issue here, I imagine, is that the individual t-test results may not
reflect the original MANCOVA results (e.g., post-hoc testing reveals a new
significant area that was not significant in the MANCOVA).

3. One other option is to run the initial MANCOVA within a statistical
program (i.e., using global cortical gray matter volumes) and then follow
up with postdoc testing within FSL (i.e., t-tests). Would this make sense?

Thanks in advance for your time and help,
Cristina