From: "Wang, Ruopeng" <rwa...@mgh.harvard.edu>
To: "Freesurfer support list" <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2023 11:54:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] place pial matter on top of the cortex using
segmentation volume

External Email - Use Caution

Why can’t you visualize it on the pial surface? Any error message when you
attempt to do that? Can you elaborate?

On Jun 14, 2023, at 12:12 PM, Malav Shah < [ mailto:malav.s...@bccn-berlin.de |
malav.s...@bccn-berlin.de ] > wrote:

External Email - Use Caution

Thanks for your reply, Wang.
Sorry if the question was not clear. I will try to elaborate better.
Here is a cropped image from the previous screenshot. This is a T2 sequence,
and with a manipulated contrast, so the overall brightness is very high.

<pial_matter_blancket.png>

I segmented the elephant brain MRI into grey-, pial-, and white-matter. Using
'mri_tesselate' command, I got GM-WM boundaries (yellow surface) and GM-pial
matter boundary (red surface).
Then, I got cortical thickness as distance b/w these surfaces, using mri_diff
command, and I can visualise this on GM-WM (yellow) surface (at the green
arrow).
However, I want to visualize this on the red surface (where the pink arrow is),
but I can't.
The closest is, I can see this on the most outer pial surface (where the blue
arrow is), and as that is purely noise (which makes sense) and not even useful
visualisation.

In essence, the most useful information for me is at GM-pial boundary (the pink
arrow)- for inflating, measuring curvature, or surface area or visualising the
cortical thickneess.
I hope this clarifies the problem.
Thanks in advance.

with regards,