External Email - Use Caution

Hi there,

I am currently going through the dt_recon tutorial on your website and I
just have a quick question regarding the recon-all and dt_recon commands on
freesurfer.

For me to process dt_recon, my understanding is that I must process
recon-all first.

But where my confusion lies is:
- do I perform recon-all on the actual dwi.nii.gz image, then dt_recon with
the same dti files (including the bval and bvec of the same dwi.nii.gz
file)
OR
- should I have two separate sets of data, one T1 and one DTI, and perform
recon-all on T1 images and take DWI images from the same subject to perform
dt_recon?

My understanding was that the second bullet is the right way to go since
the dt_recon uses the outputs from T1 recon-all to register properly.

Please let me know which one is correct, and if I am missing something.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate your time.