From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> on behalf of Philip P
<philip.pruck...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 4, 2024 01:48
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: [Freesurfer] Longitudinal Freesurfer in the presence of large  tissue
defects

        External Email - Use Caution

Dear Freesurfer Developers,

I am currently running the Longitudinal Pipeline on a cohort with significant
portions of brain tissue removed. The obtained base templates overall look
reasonable, however, when overlaying the transformed session T1ws and flicking
between them, there still are noticeable residual differences. This is not
surprising, given the inevitable brain shift after tissue removal, which rigid
registration cannot account for. In my search for a non-linear base template
option I came across the "Longitudinal FreeSurfer with non-linear
subject-specific template improves sensitivity to cortical thinning” ISMRM
abstract (MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from
"secure-web.cisco.com" claiming to be
https://archive.ismrm.org/2020/1050.html<https://secure-web.cisco.com/1me4RY0enlek75e3PAqIseSGOO7tfF84eBwPlWXYndHKO5G2tJADVy-TNvBizJR-LC2_sMvVChG7l5Pa8fM2tIAiP3DQT-SSQTQqRMUoLjOtjqu6MziPDQmMNRY5acq-T2Ufgp-DfTUhXPmCjLOm0i9Su5AxbRJ9lgN0NROMe0D3NZQJ0s72k_2YyzwWh9hncuI8MPyo0OJm0D5IdIvd_8-X2QAvcS54AE_ctHqeQi5RdtlySv2EfrrbKcuNkH5npl63jHoUptIM9QgGYk0XMO4RsHZYRXlfQW1IXJ1n62rfuX8xXiSbcBFppSYPx0utW1SkV7zhUcfnHb0qhtJwUFw/https%3A%2F%2Farchive.ismrm.org%2F2020%2F1050.html>)
 as well as related code on Github (MailScanner has detected a possible fraud
attempt from "secure-web.cisco.com" claiming to be
https://github.com/mu40/freesurfer/tree/nf-long-nonlin<https://secure-web.cisco.com/10WRpCPnvc4D9H2TOaZHsTUn0u7cWtVKoReU9EtexFnzvs4ApXqcGX5LXIAqA1gw_jDyZM0n74IRnrQrlh-uC5HiUAB3QqdEQ4zL9c8zhF_OLGSzGLytRBv-qE6DlzxoJtfknjZSMHEk9AVKlDkNKUwBjYFIOBfFv0DA9Yeb5gqDUcqqZAprEL025Pp2xpCpTM3ZS5Qm_zuM2FG1j0boLUTmrLOeHCk3ls6LB6hI03mwTM2feKe8q6B2xiqJvcLmC8dKpj0jL8EEzZNi8PpkbFflk3RYfghezpSY7yOXY-dgVEzNbcZOVNd4lNmn-aZBLK1zqNqtODLsPG0JOP_Q3wA/https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fmu40%2Ffreesurfer%2Ftree%2Fnf-long-nonlin>).

I was wondering whether you could provide insights into what you think the best
strategy for obtaining reliable longitudinal cortical thickness measurements in
such a dataset. Do you have a feel for whether the Longitudinal Freesurfer
processing stream still provides benefits over Cross-Sectional analysis in the
presence of large defects? Would you recommend giving the above-mentioned
non-linear implementation a shot or were there other reasons the feature has
not been implemented yet in the official version?

Thanks already in advance!

Best

Philip