Hi David,

Since you mentioned working on a 4FSK modem, I have started to model
one using Gnuradio and test it over a noisy channel.
My question is: since to maintain a reasonable bandwidth of the signal
you have to do heavy pulse shaping and not use orthogonal freqencies,
how do you manage a reasonable BER?
By my simulations, 4FSK requires orthogonal tones in order to still
get a reasonable decode error with a noisy channel. That creates a
signal with a huge bandwidth, especially compared with DQPSK which for
less bandwidth handles noise a lot better. Of course QPSK requires
high linearity of the amplifier, which is why my next step is to
investigate PI/4 DQPSK which is used as modulation scheme by the Tetra
standard.

>From my experiments so far, given a fixed bandwidth and a noise
spectrum with the same power, the ranking from best to worst in BER
is: DBPSK > DQPSK > 2FSK, GMSK, 4FSK

Can you confirm this using you mathematical knowledge?

Cheers,
Adrian