Hello,

I've been working steadily on FreeDV 700D, porting from Octave to C, and working through some tricky sync problems. I can now simulate the end-end system on the command line, and listen to the results. It's outperforming FreeDV 1600 by about 10dB on fast fading channels, and is error free at -2dB SNR on AWGN channels.

The main differences from FreeDV 700C are a new OFDM modem with rate 1/2 LDPC code and the option of a long interleaver (seconds of latency). It uses the the 700 bit/s codec, although with a few tweaks we could run other codecs and LDPC codes using a few dB more SNR. More inf on the FreeDV 700D mode here:

  https://www.rowetel.com/?p=5573

For anyone who would like to play along, here's README_ofdm.txt for the mode:

  https://svn.code.sf.net/p/freetel/code/codec2-dev/README_ofdm.txt

This includes references to blog posts, lots of command line examples, and specification at the end. There's enough information for the super keen to run it over the air using the cmd line tools, which I haven't done yet.

Next steps are some over the air tests, write a freedv_api.c "mode" for it, integration into the FreeDV GUI program, and lots of tweaking.

- David