Hi David
The goal is to improve FreeDV so that it is at least equal with SSB on a flat VHF channel.

On HF, the performance of FreeDV is better than SSB mainly because it can both a) work at low SNR and b) can mitigate the effects of a frequency selective channel (which reduces speech intelligibility) .

At the moment, FreeDV is a bit behind on a flat channel. This is because the PAPR is costing some ERP. PAPR on SSB on VHF with a good RF speech processor is about 4.5dB (or less!). If the ofdm modem is pushed, the performance doesnt improve of course because the BER starts to suffer (on a non zero BER scenario IE marginal conditions.

I thought about working on getting the PAPR down on the FreeDV OFDM modem. The last day I have done some revision and 8dB might be doable, but 6 to 7dB will only be doable with computational intensity, which the SM1000 does not have. That still leaves us a few dB in PAPR behind flat channel SSB. Flat channel SSB is OK down to about -3dB SNR for a good operator . Actually it is really hard to quantity exactly what the SNR is because of the time varying power. (IE -3dB wrt to PEP is the usual statement).

So now I think probably back to making the MSK modem work. I will also put in a patch for a band limited clipper for the OFDM modem as soon as I get the build environment... building.

cheers
glen