Hi Mike

Linux in the ZYNQ is instant on, well almost, 0.5  - 1 sec boot.

The distros used are usually Buildroot based, The idea is to keep it as close as possible to the PC mainline.

FPGA accelerators can be abstracted out as software modules on the PC

Even the small $15 FPGA can  'wipe the floor' with a RPi4 on specific tasks.

The ZYNQ has 1 Msps ADCs (with balanced inputs) we can use for audio in, and for audio out we can use  R-2R resistor networks as DACs...

And as for digital radio interfaces, that's best done with a DUC/DDC in the FPGA, and with low sample rates, we can keep the hardware requirements low.

I am going to try and keep the BOM < USD$50  for the SM1000/digital side, and for the digital radio piggyback board, ADC/DAC, < USD60. Most of the cost of the digital radio side is the quality clock oscillator, and 16 bit DAC.

-glen