Free software is not popular at all among end users and it will probably never
be as popular as closed software.

Instead, free software is incredibly popular and successful for enterprise
users and companies. Right now, from the largest 8 software companies in the
world, only one does not invest heavily into open source / free software. Even
Microsoft is moving into becoming a large player in this area.

If you go to Silicon Valley and ask around, I'd be surprised if there aren't
2-3 big companies using Codec2 internally for some project or research.
There is at least one major radio manufacturer using FreeDV (Flexradio).

The big trend right now in radio systems is for the users to plug in a black
box (which is usually a digital transceiver based on chips like AD9361, AD9371,
ADRV9008) and all DSP to be done in the cloud (with free software a major
player here too).

Since everything is done in the cloud, end users don't have to bother
understanding free software and investing time into it. Everything is available
to them as online information streams to consume.

You're making a mistake trying to make FreeDV a major player on the amateur
market competing with established products. It may already be, just not on the
market you expect.

Adrian