While interesting and newsworthy, I'd assume from the start that this codec has
the same advantages and pitfalls as other ML applications, i.e. works very well
in 90% of cases and fails dramatically in 10% of edge cases. Even though the
page specifies it is aimed at a completely different domain (not radio) I would
say there is no chance it can replace Codec2 soon, and I think the same for
LPCNet unfortunately. Sometimes 99.9 % of reliability of a robotic voice is
better than 90% reliability of high quality voice. Amateur radio seems to me
like a combination of all kinds of languages, foreign accents and all sorts of
messy real world input.

That said, I'd still be interested to read a paper regarding their approach and
improvements to state of the art.

Adrian