Can you be specific which cmake problems you "cleaning up"?

1. Add optional external libraries as option()s, more idiomatic than just using some defines 2. Set some properties not globally, but on the freetype library target. That's neater.
3. Minor, mostly cosmetic changes to the CPack options.
4. Minor things like using list(append list something) instead of set(list $list something) 5. Slight changes to the creation of ftconfig.h and ftoptions.h, no "-new" file now. 6. Adjustments to the installation rules, now uses the GNUInstallDirs macro so you can define libdir, includedir etc. installation targets like with Autotools. Should correctly install to lib64 now if that's the distro default.

This is not good. Have you found any difference in actual compile/link flags,
or included components, or HarfBuzz integration?

So far, I have no idea where the difference comes from. I guess I need to dig into binutils...

Nobody is going to replace autotools with cmake for any of these tasks.
Please do not bother.

Okay. Is anybody using the CPack thing to make binary or source distributions? Otherwise, I can axe that too.