Hi Greg,

> My plan is to write a basic compilation test and render test for one font to
> start then build upon that.

Sounds good :)

> I could use some suggestions on types of render modes and types of fonts to
> test as well any common pitfalls you see in commits.

I think we should aim for a broad spectrum of different modes + fonts that can
be plugged + played as we see fit.  Thus, I suggest to start using any modes
and fonts that you prefer and we can define specific cases along the way.
Let's aim to build a flexible framework rather than a very specific setup.

Best
Armin