I'm referring to the third parameter of FT_Set_Transform, but you
should also check your OpenGL transform matrices and the texture
sampling mode.

I am applying a GL transform to position the text, but the appearance of the text is not affected by whether or not that happens. I'm not aware of any transform being supplied to FreeType.

I'm using a 2D GL texture and the coord system is setup so that 1 world unit == 1 pixel and I'm rendering 2D text in the plane of the screen. So there should always be a 1-to-1 for the pixels and the texture so I don't think any texture filtering is being done.

The code calls FT_Render_Glyph and then uses the resultant gray-scale rendered bitmap as input to setting up a GL 2D texture. The contents of this 2D texture are treated as the alpha channel when rendering a colored rect which results in the colored text being drawn.

If that fails, could you perhaps attach some sample
renderings in png format?

I've attached 2 screenshots, one rendered with GDI and the other with FreeType using FreeTypeGL. On each screenshot I've also zoomed into the rendered text.

These were rendered with "Lucida Sans Unicode", 8pts, at 96dpi.

The FreeTypeGL rendered text looks "fuzzy"/"blurry"/etc. when compared with the GDI which is what we'd like to adjust.