I switched to using the default load flags (as opposed to the "no hinting" flag which was being passed by FreeTypeGL), but this doesn't seem to have made a difference. The text is still blurry.

You get less blurrier output if you don't do subpixel position of
glyphs.

How do I control whether or not subpixel positioning of the glyphs occurs?

The current text looks "fuzzy" (according to the users) when
compared with GDI.  We'd like more "crisp" rendering of text.
Are you sure this isn't an effect related to ClearType rendering?

Is ClearType rendering something being done by GDI? Or is this something I need to use with FreeType?