Aubin Paul wrote:
>> I'm not familiar with the boot scripts, who's maintaining them? I do know
>> that they're not chkconfig compliant though (missing some lines in the
>> header). There's also a lirc-related file in the ./boot folder. Not sure
>> if it should still be around.
>
> They're not chkconfig compliant, because they're distro-neutral, which
> means they have to be lowest common denominator. When I added them, my
> goal was to have people make them into distro-specific versions, and
> it's happened in some cases.

There are also gentoo specific boot scripts. If someone has redhat or
suse specific ones, please send them to the list.

>> Since I'm using the runtime python, *.pyos in the runtime directory are
>> generated automatically during the installation process anyway. I suppose
>> it would affect setup which doesn't use the runtime though.
>>
>> My problem was that freevo_python gives a GLIBC_PRIVATE symbol error when
>> running the compiler/optimizer. It doesn't occur with normal freevo
>> invocation.
>
> The system-wide Python really should be used I think; Python 2.3 is
> available for every distro from rpmfind, debian, gentoo, slack, etc.

Yes. It would be great if someone could provide us with a list where
to download _all_ needed RPMs for the current version of all distros.

Hard work often pays off after time.  But laziness always pays off now.