Duncan,
I'll give the debug method a try tonight (I'm at work right now).

Last night, I did make some progress.
1) I installed kaa.metadata 0.7.1
2) I added .flv to the MPLAYER_SUFFIX list in local_conf.py
I'm not sure which helped (if not both).

Now what happens is the "flv" files do download and get stored.
Mplayer now plays the audio, but not video for flv files.
I'm using the later version of mplayer available in fedora 7 repo.

For mplayer, I need to force -vo xxmc and -vc ffmpeg12 to play my HD
recordings. I think I now need to rethink how I
have this setup (in local_conf.py) to allow mplayer to play flv files now as
well as HD mpeg files (I'm guessing at this
point). I'm sure I can figure this out now.

Is there a method for deleting the podcasts other than going into the file
system and manually deleting them?

I'm really exciting about the podcast feature ...

Thanks,
Jim