Maybe it would then be clearer to say  "diverging from apparent past
behavior, on the assumed belief that the future would continue to be a
replication of the past" rather than "diverging from assumptions".   With
natural phenomena the 'generator' is actually the phenomenon in its
environment itself, so the physical thing is the one and only place where
the design of the process is recorded.  So, no, for physical system
emergence I see no reasonable way to make sense of examining "a complex map
between generator and phenomenon" as you would when interpreting a set of
coded instructions and the various runs of the instruction set on a
computer.

So still, the question is what are the physical system signals that would
tell you that you're observing entirely new phenomena or emerging forms of
behavior (and need a new model)?   Sometimes I've also interpreted that to
mean evidence of 'permanent' or 'irreversible' system change as a way to
narrow down what 'emergence' means.

I'll be away from keyboard for a bit...fyi

Phil