To add to that, there seems to be a large institutional push for business
and political funded mercenary scientific research to create uncertainty
about legitimate science.   A comment on David Michaels' in book "Doubt is
their product" is in the 9/27 Science News sums it up.  It's 1100 references
and other resources are on the SKPP website www.defendingscience.org.   I
also got a note from regarding the equally suspicious bloging of 'peer
reviewed' papers reported on in The Economist "User-generated science" Sep
18th 2008 print edition on Web 2.0 tools for it as a new horizon for of
speedy (and maybe thoughtless) research.

Phil