Nick is  absolutely correct!  An increase in pressure causes an increase in
density of most fluids, as noted by Sir
Robert Boyle in 1662.  The thing is: air be so light that changes in speed
involve only tiny pressure and density increases, of a few per cent, less than
occurs during a storm front passage.  So can safely be ignored and the whole
wonderful century- old mathematical discipline of incompressible fluid
mechanics becomes almost correct !   And true enuff!! The genius of
aerodynamicers has been to convert this teeny-weeny pressure difference into a
force enough to lift tons of weaponry, or i nnocent vacationers, across half
the globe in fractions of a day !   It has always been an exhilarating thought
to me, and  gra tifying to have had some tiny part in its provenance.

A'course the birdies knew it all along, and in the case of the ravens of Sant F
e, almost seem to "understand" lift!!  I gav e a seminar on that at Caltech
recently, and offered it to Friam, but no-one around here seems interested!

I was shocked on the internet to see many " scientific" elementary discussions
of the grand ol' Boyle's Law make no reference as to its date, the character of
S ir Robert and how he got to that great realization .  How can ya expect kids
to have any sense of history when elementary science writers are such boors?

And, Yes, Nicholas there are huge changes in pressure and density with altitude
in the atmosphere, that fundamentally give us that popular, ubiquitous and
inescapable phenomenon, the weather!  It's easy to see the air near the surface
of our earth is carrying, on its back, all the air above it, and so is pretty
heavily laden.  More, I think, tha n that turtle down at the South Pole that
carries E arth on its back.  Now flow speeds in the earth atmosphere (not on
other planets) are low enough that compressibility due to speed doesn't change
density enough to be of any importance.  So terrestial meteorology fluid
dynamics is incompressible but of importantly varying density.

The subject of terms and usage is certainly of interest.  W hen I taught this
stuff, at Caltech, Stanford, USC, USN, I tried to interest students in the
meaning of words, on the grounds that it was not only kultured , but also a way
of understanding phenomena more profoundly.  I don't think my sermons were very
effective.  Pity. For example, if one defines "stability" as a property where
"a system with multiple states returns to the initial after a disturbance",
then one finds it works for elastic, dynamic, mental, political, financial, eco
logical  stab.  And has a vivid meaning.  I think the popular usage was coined
mainly by Routh in 1905 in connection with  dynamic  stability.   Yeah, the
date's correct. Them old SOBs wuz doing vehicle stability same time  as the
Wrights were first fluttering around!  Ya gotta admire theoreticians of N
atural Science.

Peter Lissaman, Da Vinci Ventures

Expertise is not knowing everything, but knowing what to look for.

1454 Miracerros Loop South, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505,USA
tel:(505)983-7728