Hi

Where would one place say the Taj Mahal in the context of the Mughal
(alternatively Indo-Islamic) civilisation's ascendancy? Or the Eiffel
Tower in the context of French (alternatively Gallic) civilisation?

Mr Sabloff's observation reminds me of the old saw, "A priest, a
scientist and a mathematician are travellng on a train through France
and spot a black cow in the distance. Priest: "Behold God hath colored
all cows black. Scientist: You're wrong, only some cows are black.
Mathematician: Somewhere in a field in France there exists at least
one cow at least one of side of which is black.."