Glen,
I share your misgivings about the current discussions regarding money,
Before the second world war there was an Austrian or Austro-Hungarian school
of economics that had substantially different ideas than is currently in
fashion. My understanding is that Brettton Woods ? agreement ,after the war,
ended the old school and started the one we now think is "Normal"
The name that sticks out is Von Mises. I have a copy somewhere but it was
thicker than my own PhD thesis and never had the courage to crack it open.

It is a little late in my life for such a dramatic shift of intellectual
pursuit..

Reading Herodotus I am convinced children rarely pay off the debts of their
forefathers and would rather emigrate or fight. Trying to extract ancient
debts from the unwilling is a nasty affair that costs more than it returns.

Solon's approach to declare bankruptcy for Athens is said to have saved the
city and heralded in a new era of Prosperity.
If money does not last forever then it seems debt is just as short lived.

Maybe others have more details or ideas to add to the discussions. Debt
crisis have been downplayed by historians I suspect because they did not
fully understand the economics or principles.

Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky
Ph.D.(Civil Eng.), M.Sc.(Mech.Eng.), M.Sc.(Biology)

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
CANADA R2J 3R2
(204) 2548321  Phone/Fax