Gentlemen,
Curiously I recall that the natives of the Canadian West Coast had a culture
based on debt. Lavish gifts were presented at potlatches that appeared to
court total poverty but the culture seemed to view debt of this type as
prestige since the recipient was expected to out do the giver at the next
potlatch and was shamed if unable to ante up. Western thinkers concluded
that it was a suicidal culture and the Canadian government stopped the
practice which is now considered to have nearly destroyed the entire
culture. For some reason this social organization survived for centuries
without white interference and I have no idea how it stabilized itself and
actually created a highly innovative society. There have been many other
strange variants on social wealth distribution but I suspect they were
indeed local and trust was stabilized which seems  to be the key .

All systems are based on trust and lack of such spells failure for all
systems. Currency is not the basic principle but rather trust which can
create any of a multitude of systems.(It could be argued weakly that copper
served that purpose until white men arrived with steel) Gold may be an
attempt to base a system on the lack of trust. Which is interesting since it
depends on it anyway.

Experts on game theory please comment, Is the Japanese board game considered
a Non-Zero sum game?

Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky
Ph.D.(Civil Eng.), M.Sc.(Mech.Eng.), M.Sc.(Biology)

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
CANADA R2J 3R2
(204) 2548321  Phone/Fax