in the US the problem isn't just saftey it's NIMBY. (not in my back
yard). I'm far far far from being an expert on whats bog standard
practice to store spent rods. That being said the very few physics
i've talked to have said right off theoreticly you could store spent
cells just abount anywhere sighting that these days that you get more
exposer to harmful radiation over the course of a cross countery plane
trip than about a year of 'leaked' radiation from spent rods. IF it's
politicly viable to store Japans spent rods i'd think they'd apraciat
any assistance at all. As to news papers: meh. i'm not sure nuclear
has THAT much of loby strength more likely that it's wall street
journal taking a conservative tone to writing.(caveat: i haven't read
any news papers re: the situation in japan). Just as a side note: you
do realize that ironicly oil spills cause more environmental damage
radiation leaks?