Eric,

Thats an interesting way of looking at it. As complex game of information
hiding.

I was thinking along the line of of having a schema for rule creation.  The
schema here is like a constitution, and players can generate new rules based
on that schema to promote their self interest. For rules to become "laws"
they have to be the choice on the majority (or subject to some other social
choice mechanism), this system  allows  for group formation and coalition
building to get the new rules passed into laws. The interesting bit is how
the drive for self interest amongst some of those groups and
their coalitions can give rise to rules renders the original schema and/or
the social choice mechanism ineffective. By "ineffective", I mean that they
yield results and behavior that run counter to the purpose for which they
were  originally designed.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Mohammed