Dave -

Can you put my assumption that one can speak meaningfully of the evolution of
a "system" or "subsystem" into the context of your "minor points"?

What of co-evolution of interdependent species (humans/grains,
megafauna/megafruit, predator/prey/forage networks, etc.) or of a "network"
thereof?  e.g. Whence Pollenating Insects w/o Pollen Plants, etc?

Is it as simple as declaring them to be singular (taken as a whole sub-system
of the Universe)?   Or is this entirely a misuse in your view?

Thanks to Nick for inserting the term "Creodic" into the discussion.  I
suppose this is a fundamental issue in the Creationism debate?  In some sense,
the more receptive of the Creationists might allow "Biological Evolution" if
it were essentially *creodic* (the world unfolding under the benevolent eye
and predestined plan of God in this case?) as you say?

- Steve

> [...]
> evolves.
>
> 2- what originally evolved was a book or scroll - i.e. it
> unrolled - hence it evolved; or a flower - which unfolded hence
> evolved.
>
> 3- a human evolves - according to homunculus theory of embryology
> - by unfolding - first level of metaphoric conscription of
> evolution as unrolling.
>
> 4- things go awry when evolvution is metaphorically applied to
> the plural - e.g. taxa, species.  To make it work the plural must
> be reified as singular.
>
> 5- an error of a different sort is made when evolution is applied
> to society or some other multi-component system which is singular
> and therefore can evolve (unfold) in the original sense of the
> word.  The error is forgetting that there is really only one
> system (The Universe if it is granted that there is only one, or
> The Infinite Infinity of Universes of Universes if you want to go
> all quantum on me) - all other named systems are arbitrarily
> defined subsets that are still part of the whole - an
> encapsulation error.
>
> 6- yet another error is made - as Nick points out - when a
> subjective value scale is super-imposed on the sequence of
> arbitrarily defined stages or states, e.g. when the last word of
> the book is more profound than the first simply because it was
> the last revealed - or the bud is somehow less than the blossom
> because it came first in a sequence). [Aside: Anthropology as a
> "scientific" discipline filled hundreds of museums with thousands
> of skulls all carefully arranged in rows in order to prove that
> the brain contained within the skulls reached its 'evolutionary'
> apex with 19th century northern European males.]
>
> 7- devolution - if allowed at all - would reflect a similar
> superimposition of values in a curve instead of a straight line -
> e.g. the bud is less than the blossom but the blossom devolves
> into a withered remnant of less value than either.
>
> dave west
>

> On Tue, 10 May 2011 11:03 -0600, "Nicholas  Thompson"
> <nickthomp...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Steve:
>

> This is sort of fun:  Which is more advanced; a horse=E2=80=99s hoof or a
> human hand.?
>

> Answer: the hoof is way more advanced.  (Actually I asked the
> question wrong, it should have been horses =E2=80=9Cforearm=E2=80=9D)
>

> Why?  Because the word =E2=80=9Cadvanced=E2=80=9D means just =E2=80=9Calter=
> ed from the
> ancestral structure that gave rise to both the hoof and the
> hand.=E2=80=9D  That ancestral structure was a  hand-like paw, perhaps
> like that on a raccoon, only a few steps back from our own hand.
> The horse=E2=80=99s hoof is a single hypertrophied fingernail on a hand
> where every other digit has shrunk to almost nothing.  Many more
> steps away.  Humans are in many ways very primitive creatures.
> Viruses are very advanced, having lost everything!  Our Maker is

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"/*EC*/-->
body{padding:1ex;margin:0;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:small}a[href]{color:-moz-hyperlinktext!important;text-decoration:-moz-anchor-decoration}blockquote{margin:0;border-left:2px
solid #144fae;padding-left:1em}blockquote
blockquote{border-color:#006312}blockquote blockquote
style="font-family: Arial; font-size: medium;" dir="ltr"><div>
>       &nbsp;</div>
> some
individual thing evolves.</span></div>
>       &nbsp;</div>
scroll - i.e. it unrolled - hence it evolved; or a flower - which unfolded
hence evolved.</span></div>
>       &nbsp;</div>
> homunculus
theory of embryology - by unfolding - first level of metaphoric conscription
of evolution as unrolling.</span></div>
>       &nbsp;</div>
metaphorically applied to the plural - e.g. taxa, species.&nbsp; To make it
work the plural must be reified as singular.</span></div>
>       &nbsp;</div>
> when
evolution is applied to society or some other multi-component system which is
singular and therefore can evolve (unfold) in the original sense of the
word.&nbsp; The error is forgetting that there is really only one system (The
Universe if it is granted that there is only one, or The Infinite Infinity of
Universes of Universes if you want to go all quantum on me) - all other named
systems are arbitrarily defined subsets that are still part of the whole - an
encapsulation error.</span></div>
>       &nbsp;</div>
points out - when a subjective value scale is super-imposed on the sequence of
arbitrarily defined stages or states, e.g. when the last word of the book is
more profound than the first simply because it was the last revealed - or the
bud is somehow less than the blossom because it came first in a sequence).
[Aside: Anthropology as a &quot;scientific&quot; discipline filled hundreds of
museums with thousands of skulls all carefully arranged in rows in order to
prove that the brain contained within the skulls reached its
&#39;evolutionary&#39; apex with 19th century northern European
males.]</span></div>
>       &nbsp;</div>
reflect a similar superimposition of values in a curve instead of a straight
line - e.g. the bud is less than the blossom but the blossom devolves into a
withered remnant of less value than either.</span></div>
>       &nbsp;</div>
>       &nbsp;</div>
>       &nbsp;</div>
>       &nbsp;</div>
>       &nbsp;</div>
>                       On Tue, 10 May 2011 11:03 -0600, &quot;Nicholas&nbsp;
> Thompson&quot;
&lt;nickthomp...@earthlink.net&gt; wrote:</div>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Steve:<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">This
is sort of fun:&nbsp; Which is more advanced; a horse&rsquo;s hoof or a human
hand.? <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Answer:
the hoof is way more advanced.&nbsp; (Actually I asked the question wrong, it
should have been horses &ldquo;forearm&rdquo;)&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Why?&nbsp;
Because the word &ldquo;advanced&rdquo; means just &ldquo;altered from the
ancestral structure that gave rise to both the hoof and the hand.&rdquo;&nbsp;
That ancestral structure was a&nbsp; hand-like paw, perhaps like that on a
raccoon, only a few steps back from our own hand.&nbsp; The horse&rsquo;s hoof
is a single hypertrophied fingernail on a hand where every other digit has
shrunk to almost nothing.&nbsp; Many more steps away.&nbsp; Humans are in many
ways very primitive creatures.&nbsp; Viruses are very advanced, having lost
everything! &nbsp;Our Maker is given to irony.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Nick<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
> style="border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt
0in 0in 0in">
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
> style="font-weight: bold"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:windowtext">From:</span></span><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:windowtext">
friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] <span
style="font-weight: bold">On Behalf Of </span>Steve Smith<br />
> style="font-weight: bold">Sent:</span> Tuesday, May 10, 2011
10:12 AM<br />
> style="font-weight: bold">To:</span> The Friday Morning
Applied Complexity Coffee Group<br />
> style="font-weight: bold">Subject:</span> Re: [FRIAM] What
evolves?<o:p></o:p></span></p>
>                                               <o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
>                                               Dear old bald guy with big
> eyebrows (aka Nick)..<br />
>                                               I&#39;m becoming an old bald
> guy myself with earlobes that are sagging
and a nose that continues to grow despite the rest of his face not so
much.&nbsp; I look forward to obtaining eyebrows even half as impressive as
yours!&nbsp;&nbsp; Now *there* is some personal evolution!&nbsp; To use a
particular vernacular, &quot;You&#39;ve got a nice rack there Nick!&quot;<br />
>                                               I really appreciate your
> careful outline of this topic, it is one of
the ones I&#39;m most likely to get snagged on with folks who *do* want to use
the world evolution (exclusively) to judge social or political (or personal)
change they approve/disapprove of.&nbsp;&nbsp; I appreciate Victoria asking
this question in this manner, it is problematic in many social circles to use
Evolution in it&#39;s more strict sense.<br />
>                                               I have been trained not to
> apply a value judgment to evolution which
of course obviates any use of it&#39;s presumed negative of devolution.&nbsp;
At the same time, there are what appear to be &quot;retrograde&quot; arcs of
evolution...&nbsp; biological evolution, by definition, is always adaptive to
changing conditions which may lead one arc of evolution to be reversed in some
sense.&nbsp;<br />
>                                               When pre-aquatic mammals who
> evolved into the cetaceans we know today
(whales and dolphins) their walking/climbing/crawling/grasping appendages
returned to functioning as swimming appendages.&nbsp; One might consider that
a retrograde bit of evolution.&nbsp; That is not to say that being a land
inhabitant is &quot;higher&quot; than a water inhabitant and that the
cetaceans are in any way &quot;less evolved&quot; than their ancestors,&nbsp;
they are simply evolved to fit more better into their new niche which selects
for appendages for swimming over appendages for land locomotion.<br />
>                                               Nevertheless, is there not a
> measure of &quot;progress&quot; in the
biosphere?&nbsp; Do we not see the increasing complexity (and heirarchies) of
the biosphere to be somehow meaningful, positive, more robust?&nbsp; Would the
replacement of the current diversity of species on the planet to a small
number (humans, cows, chickens, corn, soybeans, cockroaches) be in some sense
retrograde evolution in the biosphere?&nbsp;&nbsp; Or to a single one (humans
with very clever nanotech replacing the biology of the planet)? In this
description I think I&#39;m using the verb evolve to apply to the object
terran biosphere.<br />
>                                               Since I was first exposed to
> the notion of the co-evolution of
species, I have a hard time thinking of the evolution of a single species
independent of the biological niche it inhabits and shapes at the same
time.&nbsp; In this context the only use of &quot;devolve&quot; or
&quot;retrograde evolution&quot; I can imagine is linked to complexity
again...&nbsp; a biological niche whose major elements die off completely
somehow seems like a retrograde evolution... the pre-desert Sahara
perhaps?&nbsp; The Interglacial tundras?&nbsp; The inland seas when they
become too briny (and polluted) to support life?&nbsp;<br />
>                                               I know that all this even is
> somehow anthropocentric, so maybe I&#39;m
undermining my own position (that there might be a meaningful use of
evolution/devolution).<br />
>                                               - Steve (primping the 3 wild
> hairs in his left eyebrow)<br />
>                                               &nbsp;<br />
>                                               <o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Dear
Victoria, </span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">The
word &ldquo;evolution&rdquo; has a history before biologists made off with it,
but I can&rsquo;t speak to those uses.&nbsp; I think it first came into use in
biology to refer to development and referred to the unfolding of a
flower.&nbsp;&nbsp; The one use I cannot tolerate gracefully is to refer to
whatever social &nbsp;or political change the speaker happens to &nbsp;approve
of.&nbsp; As in, &ldquo;society is evolving.&rdquo;&nbsp; The term devolution
comes out of that misappropriation.&nbsp; One of the properties that some
people approve of is increasing hierarchical structure and predictable
order.&nbsp; The development of the British empire would have been, to those
people, a case of evolution.&nbsp; Thus, when parliaments were formed and
government functions taken over by Northern Ireland and Scotland, this was
called Devolution.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Perhaps
most important in any discussion along these lines is to recognize that the
use of the term, &ldquo;evolution&rdquo;, implies a values stance of some sort
and that we should NOT take for granted that we all share the same values,
&nbsp;if we hope to have a &ldquo;highly evolved&rdquo; discussion
(};-])*</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Nick
Thompson</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">*&mdash;old
bald guy with big eyebrows and a wry smirk on his face.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Nicholas
S. Thompson</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Emeritus
Professor of Psychology and Biology</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Clark
University</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><a
href="http://home.earthlink.net/%7Enickthompson/naturaldesigns/";>http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/</a></span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><a
href="http://www.cusf.org/";>http://www.cusf.org</a></span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>
> style="border:none;border-top:solid windowtext
1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in;border-color:-moz-use-text-color
-moz-use-text-color">
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
> style="font-weight: bold"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">From:</span></span><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">
<a
href="mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com";>friam-boun...@redfish.com</a> [<a
href="mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com";>mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com</a>]
> style="font-weight: bold">Sent:</span> Monday, May 09, 2011
8:26 PM<br />
> style="font-weight: bold">To:</span> The Friday Morning
Applied Complexity Coffee Group<br />
> style="font-weight: bold">Subject:</span> Re: [FRIAM] What
evolves?</span><o:p></o:p></p>
>                                               &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
> couple of other questions then:&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> What is devolution? Is that a legitimate word in this discussion,
if not why not, etc<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> and&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> Does evolution really just mean change, and if so why is there a
different word for it?<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> ie:&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> If evolution means &#39;positive sustainable change&#39; who is
deciding what is positive and sustainable?&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> One could argue that aspects of human neurological evolution have
&#39;evolved&#39; a less-sustainable organism, or at least a very problematic
or flawed design. The internal conflicts between different areas of the brain,
often in direct opposition to each other and leading to personal and
large-scale destruction: is that evolution? if so why, etc<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> Just because we can find out where in our genes this is written,
does that mean it is good?<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> There is often a confusion between description and purpose.
&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> I&#39;d vote for option C, in Eric&#39;s paragraph below:
ultimately it must be&nbsp;&quot;the organism-environment system evolves&quot;
or there is an upper limit to the life-span of a particular trait. Holism is
the only perspective that holds up in the long term.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> This is another one of those FRIAM chats that brush against the
intangible. &nbsp;We sure do sort by population here, and we evolve into
something new in doing this. I am changed for the better by reading and
occasionally chiming in, sharpening my vocabulary and writing skills in this
brilliant and eclectic context.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> I determined evolution there. Does a radish get the same
thrill?&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> Oh, my taxa are so flexed I have to send this off. Thanks for the
great phrase, NIck-<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> Victoria<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
> class="me48497MsoNormal">
>
> &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

>                 On May 9, 2011, at 5:41 PM, ERIC P. CHARLES
> wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>

>         <o:p></o:p></p>

>                 Russ,<br />
>
>                 Good questions. I&#39;m hoping Nick will speak up, but
> I&#39;ll
hand wave a little, and get more specific if he does not.<br />

>                 This is one of the points by which a whole host of conceptual
confusions enter the discussion of evolutionary theory. Often people do not
quite know what they are asserting, or at least they do not know the
implications of what they are asserting. The three most common options are
that &quot;the species evolves&quot;, &quot;the trait evolves&quot;, or
&quot;the genes evolve&quot;. A less common, but increasingly popular option
is that &quot;the organism-environment system evolves&quot;. Over the course
of the 20th century, people increasingly thought it was &quot;the genes&quot;,
with Williams solidifying the notion in the 50s and 60s, and Dawkins taking it
to its logical extreme in The Selfish Gene. Dawkins (now the face of
overly-abrasive-atheism) gives you great quotes like &quot;An chicken is just
an egg&#39;s way of making more eggs.&quot; Alas, this introduces all sorts of
devious problems.<br />

>                 I would argue that it makes more sense to say that species
evolve. If you don&#39;t like that, you are best going with the multi-level
selection people and saying that the systems evolve. The latter is certainly
accurate, but thinking in that way makes it hard to say somethings you&#39;d
think a theory of evolution would let you say.&nbsp;<br />

>                 Eric<br />

>                 On Mon, May 9, 2011 06:25 PM, <span style="font-weight:
bold">Russ Abbott &lt;<a
href="mailto:russ.abb...@gmail.com";>russ.abb...@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
wrote:<br />

>                 <o:p></o:p></p>

style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;51)&quot;,&quot;serif&quot;">I&#39;m
hoping you will help me think through this apparently simple
question.</span><o:p></o:p></p>

>                                 &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

> the term <span
style="font-style: italic">evolution</span>, we have something in mind that we
all seem to understand. But I&#39;d like to ask this question: what is it that
evolves?</span><o:p></o:p></p>

>                                 &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

> mean more by <span
style="font-style: italic">evolution </span>than just that change
occurs--although that is one of the looser meaning of the term. We normally
think in terms of a thing, perhaps abstract, e.g,. a species, that evolves. Of
course that&#39;s not quite right since&nbsp;evolution also&nbsp;involves
the&nbsp;creation&nbsp;of new species. Besides, the very notion of species
is&nbsp;<a
href="http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/species/";>controversial</a>. (But
that&#39;s a different discussion.) &nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>

>                                 &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

> appropriate to say that
there is generally a thing, an entity, that evolves? The question is not just
limited to biological evolution. I&#39;m willing to consider broader answers.
But in any context, is it reasonable to expect that the sentence &quot;X
evolves&quot; will generally have a reasonably clear&nbsp;referent&nbsp;for
its subject?</span><o:p></o:p></p>

>                                 &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

> is to say that
what we mean by &quot;X evolves&quot; is really
&quot;evolution&nbsp;occurs.&quot; Does that help? It&#39;s not clear to me
that it does since the question then becomes what do we means by
&quot;evolution occurs&quot; other than that change happens. Evolution is
(intuitively) a specific kind of change. But can we characterize it more
clearly?</span><o:p></o:p></p>

>                                 &nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>

> copying Nick and Eric
explicitly because I&#39;m especially interested in what biologists have to
say about this.</span><br clear="all" />

style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#003333">&nbsp;</span><o:p></o:p></p>

> italic"><span
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#003333">--
Russ&nbsp;</span></span><o:p></o:p></p>

href="http://www.friam.org";>http://www.friam.org</a><o:p></o:p></p>

href="http://www.friam.org";>http://www.friam.org</a><o:p></o:p></pre>