In an offline conversation about my "open letter", somebody asked me what
symmetry breaking was; Here was my answer.

Symmetry breaking is Guerin/Kaufman talk.  Something like this: Just before
Benard cells form, the fluid is symmetrical horizontally (Kaufman/Guerin
talk for "uniform"), although there is a gradient of warmth from low to
high.  When the gradient reaches a certain intensity, the Benard cell
structure is formed and that horizontal uniformity is replaced by upward and
downward moving columns of liquid.  The original uniformity (aka symmetry)
is broken and (on Steve's account) energy now moves faster from the warm
plate at the bottom to the cold plate at the top because of that symmetry
breaking.  I hope I have this right.

Since nobody is answering my question about sink vortices being a case of an
anti-dissipative structure, let me attempt my own answer.

Nick, you old goose.  You are really confused.  It's an energy gradient that
is being defused, not a water gradient.  The very inefficiency of the sink
vortex for moving water is what makes it into an efficient dissipative
structure.

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University

http://www.cusf.org <http://www.cusf.org/>