> Are you asking why does a vortex form at all?

No.

> Are you assuming that the
> drain is "rifled" in some sense and that a vortex wouldn't form without the
> rifling.

No, that hadn't occurred to me, and I don't think
(having done my share of household-level plumbing)
that drains are rifled in any sense.

Like Isaac Newton (not Abraham Lincoln's secretary
of agriculture, who should be better known than he
is for having written "there is no logic so irresistible
as the logic of statistics; some other guy of the same
name), I am not feigning (or framing) hypotheses on
these matters, at the moment anyway.  I was mainly
pointing out that your reported observation, about
the (great) slowness to drain of a vortex-infested
sinkful of water, *is* an observation *about a sink
full of water*, not (just) about the visible part
of the water, or even (just) about the water and the
visible surfaces of the sink.  At least part of the
water that is already out of sight (at any particular
time during the process of draining the sink) is most
definitely mechanically involved with whatever is
happening, as is at least part of the sink (the top
bits of the drainpipe) that is out of sight during
the whole experiment, because that water (rather,
the outer layers thereof) is touching that part
of the sink.

Like the man said, no system is an island, entire
of itself; every system is a subsystem of the
Universe, a part of the main ... And therefore
never send to know for whom entropy increases;
it increases for thee.

--Not that I'm framing any hypotheses about
order or disorder, mind you.