Data is now accepted as a mass noun by most computing organizations
including those in IEEE. I remember having a long debate about this at
Ames in regards to a publication.

Greg Sonnenfeld

"Junior programmers create simple solutions to simple problems. Senior
programmers create complex solutions to complex problems. Great
programmers find simple solutions to complex problems. The code
written by topnotch programmers may appear obvious, once it is
finished, but it is vastly more difficult to create."