> Well, that might be an indirect cause for my bad behavior, I suppose.  I
> could say that "So many of my colleagues do it that it's only natural
> that I would do it sporadically as well, even if I'm trying not to do
> it."
>What makes "data" trickier than those others?

Well here are somethings to consider:

1. Isn't the idea of "bad behavior" very subjective?

2. If a standard's body says is fine to use, would it still be "bad
behavior"? (As apposed to just your friends etc.)

3. There are other similar words, such as "agenda", that are treated
correctly as singular in English despite being Latin plurals.

4. When does a new but common usage become "proper English" and when
does the old usage become deprecated?

It really seems an issue of what standards body or dialect you decide
to choose as proper.

Greg Sonnenfeld

"Junior programmers create simple solutions to simple problems. Senior
programmers create complex solutions to complex problems. Great
programmers find simple solutions to complex problems. The code
written by topnotch programmers may appear obvious, once it is
finished, but it is vastly more difficult to create."