Dear Local Friammers,

I asked others  on the list to inform me about Occupy Wall Street -type
activities in Santa Fe, and, since nobody did and since I learned a little
more, myself, I thought I would say what I think I know.

(1)    The Group at the State Capitol building house seemed to represent
many (laudable) interests but to have no over- arching message yet or a
well-defined local target.  Lots of friendly horn beeping and waves and only
one negative comment from a guy who seemed to shout at us that we were
"prawns!"  "Prawns?!" we said.  Oh PAWNS! But then the light changed and he
was gone.

(2)    The center of the group's activities has been the Bank of America at
the corner of Peralta and St. Francis just where St. Francis starts up the
hill toward 599 and Tesuque, etc.  Some have been camped  (with permission)
on an empty lot across the street.

(3)    That permission is running out and the group will meet there meet
tomorrow evening to discuss next steps.  All interested parties presumably
invited.

(4)    The group's web presence seemed not yet well organized.  Perhaps it
is getting organized as I speak, but since there are a lot of people on the
Friam list with relevant skills, perhaps some of us might want to take
notice.

(5)    I have some experience with Google Sites and I have offered (please,
don't laugh), (if nobody better puts up his/her hand), to put together a
primitive Google Site/Group for the purpose of posting information, offering
a forum, etc.  But I have experience only with private Google Sites and have
a sense from reading Google Help Forums  that public Google Sites are
terribly vulnerable to outside interference.  Is this true?  Do you have
advice to give me in this matter.  Is Facebook a far better way of achieving
these goals.

(6)    The above information is gathered informally and may all be
incorrect.

Thank you for your patience.

I stipulate that this is not the place for a political discussion and that
many of you would probably disagree with me vehemently on many matters, so I
will leave it at that.  As soon as there is a local distribution list or
equivalent, there will be no need to discuss such matters in this forum, for
which, I assume, many of you will be grateful.

Back to the discussion of cellphone apps.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University

http://www.cusf.org <http://www.cusf.org/>