From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [friam-boun...@redfish.com] on behalf of Owen
Densmore [o...@backspaces.net]
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 4:52 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] [SUSPICIOUS EMAIL] Re: Android Choice

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Chris Feola
<ch...@nextpression.com<mailto:ch...@nextpression.com>> wrote:
<snip>
Of the phones, the Galaxy has far and away the best screen, but you'll always
find them laying around here because the staff doesn't grab them. Samsung NEVER
updates, so bugs and such never seem to get resolved. (The GPS STILL doesn't
work on the original Galaxy, after more than a year.) People who have all their
music in iTunes trend toward the iPhone here, but no one is crazy about the 4
the way they were when the 3G came out.

Great info, Chris and everyone else.  This brought up an issue that first time
android folks wonder about: update.

I thought Android phones were "open" so to speak .. so wouldn't you just update
by downloading the latest from Google?

I realize the mfgrs want to "add value" but I'd prefer the vanilla Google
distro, I think, unless there is reason to prefer the mfgr's modifications. Are
there particular vendors that are best for plain Google android?

The phone that disappears if you put it down is the Sensation. The screen isn't
as good as the Galaxy IIs in terms of color depth, but it is HUGE-4.3"-while
the phone itself seems incredibly small even next to an iPhone or Galaxy. You
really have to think about it as a small tablet, actually, with that screen. I
use it as my Kindle, do most of my surfing on it; I gave up both my Xoom and
iPad because I'd simply stopped using them.

That said, it doesn't have a tablet's battery.  I get less than half the
battery life I did on the Galaxy or HTC G2; but then, I didn't read books on
either. So we all carry a battery pack that recharges USB stuff.

It's fast -- dual core processor -- its small, GPS and call quality are great,
and the screen is huge. Recommended.

cjf

OK, this is another puzzler: wouldn't battery life for a phone be quite
important?

It may be that I just don't push my original iPhone 2G hard, but it seems to go
for a week on just a couple of calls, nearly no SMS, lots of email (yes, even
on TMo/Edge .. phone's hacked), modest web, maps etc.

Do androids have the same battery life as the iphones?  I do know the latest
iphone 4s has shorter standby time.  So maybe 3G etc drains the battery a lot.
I don't want to be on Edge-only if I can avoid it.

Thanks again, really a big help;

   -- Owen