If I recall one of the (improbable) possibilities thrown up by Barrow
& Tipler was that as atoms vanish the human body would also vanish, be
converted into an energy form, and that at the final point the
ultimate purpose of "life" would be revealed as being to prevent the
Universe from destroying itself by hurling all matter into a decaying
black hole (using von-Neuman machines a-la "2010")..