You are correct, the air at the topmost level of the atmosphere, the
exosphere, is primarily composed of hydrogen. This hydrogen most
likely comes from decomposition of atmospheric water into hydrogen and
oxygen.

You're also right that there is a gradient of gasses as you move from
sea level to space. If you look at the basic principles, (excluding
weather etc) you have diffusion mixing the gases while you have
gravitational forces separating them.

I'm not sure how much of the mixing we see is from diffusion and what
is from other forces (such as weather). That'd be an interesting
problem to look at. (Perhaps see how much experimentally measured
gradients differs from what we calculate from a simple diffusion /
gravity model. )

Greg Sonnenfeld