It wouldn't hurt to review the entry on faith in the Stanford Encyclopedia
of Philosophy (http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/faith/). In its second
paragraph, it distinguishes between a broad definition of faith as trust or
belief and the narrower notion of religious faith (think of the email
traffic we could have saved if we'd looked this up earlier…). It goes on to
explore different models of religious faith some of which the group has
discussed and some of which it hasn't:

   - *the ‘purely affective’ model*: faith as a feeling of existential
   confidence
   - *the ‘special knowledge’ model*: faith as knowledge of specific
   truths, revealed by God
   - *the ‘belief’ model*: faith as belief *that* God exists
   - *the ‘trust’ model*: faith as belief *in* (trust in) God
   - *the ‘doxastic venture’ model*: faith as practical commitment beyond
   the evidence to one's belief that God exists
   - *the ‘sub-doxastic venture’ model*: faith as practical commitment
   without belief
   - *the ‘hope’ model*: faith as hoping—or acting in the hope that—the God
   who saves exists.

In short, there's a reason baby Jesus invented Google. Every time you don't
use it to inform a discussion, an angel dies.

—R